Olena Roschyna – Friday, 4 March 2022, 08:40
The Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant has been seized by Russian troops, who control the administrative buildings and the entrance to the plant.
Energoatom said: "The administrative building of the Zaporizhzhia NPP and the entrance to the plant are controlled by the occupiers. The staff are continuing to work on the power units, ensuring the stable operation of nuclear facilities. Radiation levels are normal.
"Unfortunately, there are dead and wounded among the Ukrainian defenders of the station."
The Inspectorate said: "On 4 March 2022, the Zaporizhzhia NPP site was shelled by the military forces of the Russian Federation, as a result of which a fire broke out on the territory of the ZNPP. The fire was extinguished by the Emergency Services of Ukraine.
The site of the Zaporizhzhia NPP has been seized by the military forces of the Russian Federation.
Staff are at work. They are monitoring the state of the power units and ensuring their operation in accordance with technological requirements for safe operation. Inspections are also being carried out to identify any damage to the site."
Details: No changes to radiation levels were recorded after the fire in the ZNPP educational and training building.
Currently, only one power unit is working – the fourth.
The condition of the power units:
- Power unit 1: planned preventive maintenance underway.
- Power units 2 and 3: disconnected from the grid, cooling of nuclear reactors underway.
- Power unit 4: in operation, electric power 690 MW.
- Power units 5 and 6: cooling of nuclear reactors underway.
Quote: "Currently, the cooling of nuclear fuel at ZaporizhzhiaNPP power units is provided in accordance with the requirements of technological regulations for safe operation.
A loss of the ability to cool nuclear fuel would lead to significant radioactive emissions into the environment. As a result, such an event may exceed all previous accidents at nuclear power plants, including Chernobyl and the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant."
Details: The Inspectorate gave a reminder that in addition to the six power units at the Zaporizhzhia NPP site, there is a storage facility for spent nuclear fuel. Damage caused by shelling will also lead to a radioactive release .
- On the night of 4 March, nuclear safety at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant was breached. Reactors were in danger due to shelling by the Russian military and the fire it caused.
- Firefighters were at first not allowed to put out the fire caused by the shelling. They were later allowed to enter the site and at 06:20 the fire was extinguished.
- President Volodymyr Zelenskyy addressed the world and said that no-one had ever fired on nuclear power plants. He said that the Russians were effectively blackmailing Ukraine and the world with an explosion which would be a disaster on a global scale.
- There are 6 power units in Enerhodar. In total, there are 15 nuclear units in Ukraine. Only one exploded at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in 1986, with devastating consequences.