Ukraine’s Security Service is conducting a counterintelligence operation within the Holy Dormition Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra, a monastery in Kyiv.
Source: Press service for the Security Service of Ukraine
Quote: "These measures are being undertaken jointly with the National Police and the National Guards as part of the Security Service’s systematic efforts to counter subversive activities of Russian special forces in Ukraine.
In particular, there is a growing risk of terrorist attacks, sabotage, and hostage taking, especially in crowded places, in light of Russia’s military aggression.
The aforementioned measures are being undertaken in order to:
- prevent the [Kyiv-Pechersk] Lavra from being used as a ‘Russian world’ centre;
- verify information that the premises belonging to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church are being used to conceal sabotage and reconnaissance groups and foreign citizens, and to store weapons;
- protect citizens from false-flag operations and terrorist attacks."
Details: The SSU explained that representatives of the church are assisting law enforcement officers in:
- inspecting the grounds of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra in order to uncover prohibited items;
- checking whether the persons within the Lavra have been involved in illegal activities to the detriment of Ukraine’s sovereignty.
The SSU stressed that all of the aforementioned measures are carried out within the framework of the current legislation.
The service also emphasised that its officers adhere to the principle of impartiality to the activities of any religious denomination and respect the right of every citizen to freedom of ideology and religion, as defined by the Constitution of Ukraine.