President Volodymyr Zelenskyy had a brief conversation with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán during the inauguration ceremony of the newly elected President of Argentina.
Source: European Pravda
Details: Orbán and Zelenskyy’s conversation took place in the Argentinian Parliament, in the area for guests. Footage of them talking was posted on the Argentinian Senate’s official YouTube channel.
The Office of the President of Ukraine has not commented on the details of this conversation yet.
- While in Argentina, Zelenskyy is known to have made a phone call to French President Emmanuel Macron, who welcomed Orbán to Paris on 8 December.
- The two leaders have had only brief interactions since Zelenskyy was elected president in 2019. Zelenskyy offered to have an official meeting with Orbán, but it never happened, even though Kyiv considered that the meeting would be an opportunity to begin a new chapter in the relations between the two countries.
- When the Russian invasion started, the already tense relations between Kyiv and Budapest worsened. Orbán has claimed several times that he does not believe in Ukraine’s victory.
- Zelenskyy and Orbán talked briefly at the EU leaders’ summit in Brussels last February. Zelenskyy invited Orbán to visit Kyiv, but to no avail – even though most EU leaders have visited Ukraine at least once or several times to show their support.
- This meeting took place at a time when Orbán intends not to support the decision of the EU’s Brussels summit on 14-15 December concerning the start of Ukraine’s EU membership talks and further financial and military support for Kyiv.