Alona Mazurenko — Tuesday, 2 August 2022, 23:02
[Dmitry Shkrebets with his son. Photo: Russian social network profile]
The father of Russian conscript Yegor Shkrebets, who served on the cruiser Moskva and was reported missing, has received his son’s death certificate 110 days after his son died.
Details: Dmitry Shkrebets shared a copy of the document on social media. The death certificate states that his son died on 13 April.
Shkrebets noted that he received the certificate on the 110th day after his son’s death.
- On 13 April, Ukrainian authorities said they had struck the Russian cruiser Moskva with Neptun missiles.
- On 14 April, the Russian Defence Ministry confirmed an explosion on the cruiser, but said the ammunition on board had detonated, the sailors had been evacuated and the cruiser itself was "still afloat". The Russian ministry then said the Moskva sank while being towed to Sevastopol in stormy conditions.
- Experts speculated that half of the crew had been killed or injured. Investigative journalists believed that as many as two-thirds of the crew of the Moskva cruiser could have been conscripts.
Relatives of the Moskva sailors searched for them, received the answer that the cruiser had not carried out a combat mission, and that the sailors had gone missing. At the same time, the survivors said that the cruiser was on its way to Odesa with a landing party.
Journalists fight on their own frontline. Become our patron, support our work!