On Monday, 9 October, the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said it had attacked 500 Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad targets overnight.
Quote CNN: "Videos and images on social media show mosques and residential buildings flattened in Gaza, as the death toll in the territory rose to at least 436 people on Monday.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said Monday it attacked 500 Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad targets overnight.
The Palestinian interior ministry said most of the targets were "towers, residential buildings, civil and service facilities, and many mosques."
Details: The IDF asserted that it had struck two Hamas operational targets inside a mosque in Gaza. It claimed to have hit numerous apartment buildings, including the residence of Hamas secretary Ruhi Mashtaa, seven additional Hamas command centres, an Islamic Jihad command centre, and more.
According to Hamas, they were not using the targeted structures, claiming that unannounced attacks were made by Israel’s forces on residential homes.
Israeli Defence Forces officer Yigal Levin posted on Telegram photos and videos of allegedly hit objects.
According to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), approximately 74,000 people in Gaza were displaced and seeking refuge in their schools.
- On 7 October, Hamas launched a large-scale rocket attack on Israel, with fires breaking out in cities. As of the evening of 8 October, the death toll in Israel due to the Hamas attack had exceeded 700, with over 2,200 injured.
- The Wall Street Journal reported that Iranian security officials had helped plan a surprise Hamas attack on Israel and gave the green light during a meeting in Beirut last Monday. The newspaper wrote that officers of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps had been working with Hamas since August to develop an air, ground and sea invasion plan.
- Iran's mission to the United Nations said Tehran was not involved in one of the bloodiest attacks on Israel in history.
- Israeli aircraft conducted further strikes on the Gaza Strip on the night of 8-9 October to "devastate the capabilities of the Hamas terror group". The soldiers have bombed not only the homes of commanders but also the houses of all militants.
- The IDF stated it had "severely degraded the capabilities" of the Palestinian militant group Hamas in a series of airstrikes on Gaza that lasted until the morning of 9 October.