Support Us

Russian governor calls on Shebekino residents to return to their homes

Tuesday, 4 July 2023, 08:49
Russian governor calls on Shebekino residents to return to their homes
SCREENSHOT FROM GOOGLE.MAPS

A Russian governor has asked residents of Shebekino in Russia, who fled the city when the Russian Volunteer Corps and the Freedom of Russia Legion entered Russia’s Belgorod Oblast at the end of May, to return home.

Source: Vyacheslav Gladkov, Governor of Russia's Belgorod Oblast, on Telegram

Quote: "Starting today, we are inviting the residents of Shebekino, those who are placed in temporary accommodation, to return to their homes within the next two weeks. Of course, this applies only to those whose apartments and houses have not been destroyed or damaged".

Advertisement:

Details: He also said that children from the border settlements will be sent to a camp in Yevpatoria [temporarily occupied Crimea – ed.] because Russia is not able to provide them with education from 1 September, "based on the operational situation".

Background:

  • The governor of Belgorod Oblast has repeatedly announced attacks on Russian villages and cities bordering Ukraine.
  • On 22 May, the Russian Volunteer Corps and Freedom of Russia Legion announced that they had crossed the border and were "liberating" the settlements of Belgorod Oblast from the current Russian authorities: they started with the villages of Kozinka and Gora-Podol, but they are seeking the "liberation" of all of Russia.
  • Vyacheslav Gladkov, the governor of Belgorod Oblast, claimed that a "reconnaissance and sabotage group from the Armed Forces of Ukraine" had entered the Grayvoron district.
  • The Russian president’s press secretary, Dmitry Peskov, said that Vladimir Putin had been informed of the breach of the Russian border in Belgorod Oblast. Peskov said that work is underway to stamp out "Ukrainian saboteurs" from Russian territory and destroy them.
  • Andrii Yusov, Ukraine's Defence Intelligence spokesman, has described the events taking place in Russia's Belgorod Oblast on 22 May as the creation of a "security zone" to protect Ukrainian citizens. Yusov stressed that the operation was conducted exclusively by Russian citizens.
  • Mykhailo Podoliak, advisor to the head of the President’s Office of Ukraine, stressed that Ukraine is not directly related to the events that transpired in Russia's Belgorod Oblast on 22 May.
  • Vyacheslav Gladkov reported that the majority of residents of the Grayvoron district had left their settlements.

Journalists fight on their own frontline. Support Ukrainska Pravda or become our patron!

Advertisement: